Customers find it convenient to do shopping even when they are on the move. The future of eCommerce in India is enormous, and the ever-increasing penetration of smartphones will only add impetus to the growth. As the e-commerce industry sees increased traction, it is expected to increase to reach a market size of US$ 188 billion by 2025.
The growth of the e-commerce industry is mainly due to the growth of stalwarts. However, several smaller players are gradually carving out a niche for themselves too. The industry is quick to adapt to new technologies too. The future prospect of eCommerce moreover depends upon the fast uptake of latest technologies, their convenience in usage and cost. In this article, we will discuss the technologies that can help in e-commerce growth.
Why is the E-Commerce Industry Seeing Such Huge Potential?
The e-commerce industry is bound to see exceptional growth over the years. The growth is bound to be led by the industry stalwarts like Flip kart and Amazon. Increasing industry investments, M&As, and government policies are other reasons for the development of this industry.
The current COVID-19 pandemic situation has also led to an impetus for the industry. Most of the growth will be seen in beauty and wellness, food and grocery, electronics trade, and apparel sectors. The industry has also seen remarkable investments by Facebook, Google, and Reliance Retail.
Let us discuss the reasons why the e-commerce industry is expected to grow in the country.
- Improved User Experience
Visitors to the website would look forward to an exceptional user experience. They would prefer optimal workflows that would help them in the buying process. The industry has been focusing on UX design, merchandising, customer servicing, logistics, etc. and have been ably aided through next-generation technologies.
Technology has a significant role to play and has also increased the trust factor among customers. In addition, it has helped in ensuring an improved user experience for customers. The tech-savvy audience is always looking for newer features, and the use of technology helps to reach out to this audience easily.
- More Outreach
The incumbent players have reached out more to the smaller town. The penetration of high-speed internet services has aided it. The rise in income in Tier 2 and Tier 3 towns has also become a critical factor for the future of the eCommerce industry.
The industry’s increased frequency of freebies has also allowed this segment of shoppers to be hooked onto online shopping. The use of technology has also helped this market adapt to the new mode of shopping. E-commerce platforms also find it easy to keep them hooked onto the platform through targeted products.
- Increased Use of Digital Payments
The future of eCommerce industry lies in the growth of mobile commerce. According to studies, 73% of eCommerce sales globally will happen on a mobile device. Online payments are seeing massive growth in India that enhances the future of the eCommerce business in India. Customers are finding it convenient to make payments while on the move. The digital payment platforms are secure too, and the willingness to use these platforms is seeing an increase.
The sector has seen tremendous growth that has made businesses opt for mobile optimization of their websites. Many companies have chosen to go for a mobile app. You can also use location-based campaign strategies that allow you to send customized messages based on the customer’s location.
- Additional Investment in Logistics
The eCommerce industry has been increasing its reach aggressively. They have increased access to pin codes tremendously over the years. As they anticipate a considerable increase in sales, the e-commerce companies are also growing their warehouse space. As the incumbent players increase their reach across the smaller towns, they also invest in their logistics channels to keep pace with this growth.
- Growth of Multiple Sectors
The e-commerce industry is seeing multi-pronged growth. While the industry has been dominated by apparel, electronics goods, books, etc., other sectors like groceries, FMCG and food delivery also expect tremendous growth. The industry’s growth is also pulling in traditional retailers, which adds to the growth story.
Latest Technology Trends in the Industry and its Benefits
Technological advancements have helped the e-commerce industry and have allowed the incumbent players to connect with their customers better. Apart from enhancing user experience, it also helps customers through the buyer’s journey and in their decision-making. You can discuss with us about incorporating them into your website. We will discuss some of these technologies in this article.
- Augmented Reality
The advent of augmented reality has been a complete game-changer for the industry. Customers can be provided with a better experience, and it is getting immense popularity in specific sectors like home decor, fashion, jewellery, etc. Studies also point to the tremendous popularity that this technology has brought to the industry.
The future prospects of eCommerce in India are enhanced as augmented reality allows website visitors to try the product virtually before making their buying decision. They can have a 3D view of the product and have an idea of how it will look. Major e-commerce players have been utilizing this technology.
- Chat bots interact with website visitors much like a salesperson would do when you visit a retail store. The chat-bots can question you on your preferences and then throw up the ideal products along with suitable alternatives. This technology aids eCommerce businesses a lot in customer support activities.The future prospects of eCommerce revolve entirely around providing an exceptional experience for customers. They help in allowing customers to interact with the business 24X7 and reduce cost for customer support too. They can also remind users of items they had abandoned in the shopping cart. These reminders can make customers revisit the cart and finish the sale. Chat bots can also help in responding to queries or with shipping information.
- Voice Search
The use of voice search is increasing over the years. And not only through the website; customers can use their smart speakers too. The use of voice search requires businesses to revisit their SEO and content strategies. Companies can have audio signatures that allow the customers to know they are purchasing from the right place.The use of voice search makes it further convenient for customers to shop from the confines of their home and through a voice assistant. The voice assistants can also help customers compile their shopping lists without browsing through a smartphone. The technology can reach out to another set of the audience, including the youth and the visually impaired.
Factors Influencing The Future of E commerce in India
- Omnichannel Presence
Customers are resorting to cross-channel habits that initiate research and culminate in a sale. Customers also expect smooth interactions across several channels. You can start an interconnected experience whereby the customer can undertake video chats with the business. Screen sharing is also possible leading to better interactions with the business’ agents. Document interaction and co-browsing are other options that companies can use.
- Headless eCommerce is a solution where the front-end is decoupled from the back-end module. It allows businesses to provide more flexibility in delivering a personalized experience for the customers. It helps in providing a truly omnichannel experience and improved front-end customization.The e-commerce platform centrally houses the content that is delivered over APIs wherever necessary. The headless eCommerce system passes requests between the application and the presentation layers through APIs or webs service calls. In addition, the APIs are used for data orchestration and allows infrastructure connectivity.
- Social Commerce The future of online shopping lies in utilizing multiple channels to reach out to your audience. Social commerce uses social media platforms for an improved in-app experience for customers. You can have Instagram galleries on your website or create actionable buttons on your Facebook posts. You can easily sync between the Facebook store and your website. The customers can view products in-app and can interact with the products by sharing or liking them.
The eCommerce industry is seeing tremendous growth in the country. While several factors contribute to this growth, you must keep in mind that not all ventures are successful. You must design a website with the relevant workflows that will help you draw more visitors to your website.
You must use a reliable platform and consider your business mission when you are creating the website. Choose the ideal platform to design your website. We are experienced in designing specialized eCommerce websites.